Shop the Post:
Welp, my friends: my twenties are officially over. Hello, thirty!
Growing up, I think I had a lot of expectations for turning 30. If you were to ask me 5-10 years ago where I thought I’d be in life by now, my answer would not match up with my current situation.
Where I’m at right now is so much better. Here are some of my thoughts on turning 30!
Shop the Post: Hot Pink Gown | Sandals | Birthday Cake via Maliha Creations | Marble Cake Stand | Gold Balloons | Similar Pink and White Balloons
When I was in college, I thought I’d be married, a homeowner, working at a great PR firm (and actually utilizing my college degree) by the time I was 30. My own mother didn’t have me until she was 33, so I wasn’t sure if I’d have kids by this point in my life.
And, spoiler alert: none of that happened. My life has taken a few crazy turns, and I’m in a very different place. However, I couldn’t be more content with the way things ended up.
Thoughts on Turning 30
I’m not married, but I found a fantastic partner. I don’t work at a big PR firm, but I became my own boss, which ended up being so much more fulfilling. I don’t have my forever home yet, but I’m traveling the world. I don’t have kids, and my maternal instinct really hasn’t kicked in. I don’t know if I’ll ever want children, to be honest. And I might struggle with anxiety, but overall, I’m super content, and I know I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.
And for some giggles, when I turned 26, I made a “Thirty Before 30” list: a roundup of things I wanted to accomplish before I turned 30. Here’s how I fared:
- Learn how to swim (…this is SO embarrassing but nope, I really can’t swim) I didn’t get to this, and I’m still embarrassed.
- Perform on stage one more time while I’m still in decent dancing shape Does Tik Tok Count? 🙂
Go on a road trip with my girlfriends Learn how to cook 15 signature dishes Go to ParisCheck!
- Buy my first pair of designer shoes Still haven’t done this yet. Still want to.
Host a TV segmentTechnically, I’ve been on TV 10 times after I wrote this post. I didn’t necessarily “host” a segment, though! Become a morning personI wake up considerably earlier now that I’m my own boss. Stick to a workout routineTechnically, I got into a groove when I lived in Philly. I’ve lost it, but I am the most active I’ve ever been in my life
- Travel to Africa This is still on my bucket list
- Run a 5K My knees will not allow me to do this. Ha!
- Volunteer 100 hours Something I still need to work on.
Start a YouTube channelTechnically? Yes, I started one. Didn’t keep it regularly updated, though.
- Eat pizza…in Italy No go. Tom went to Italy without me for work. How rude! /sarcasm
- Buy a house/condo Nope.
- Read 52 books in 52 weeks Nada
- Learn how to ice skate (nope, I really can’t do this either) Not a huge priority for me, tbh.
Move to a new cityI moved 3 times after writing this post. Buy a stranger their coffee
- Adopt a dog Not with my travel schedule!
- Learn how to ballroom dance Anyone want to convince Tom to do this with me?
Sell my car, live life only using public transitMy car got totaled ten days before I moved to Philly, and I went 1.5 years without a vehicle 🙂 Raise $1000+ for charity
- Go to a music festival in another country Not a priority for me anymore.
See the Northern LightsTechnically saw them on my red-eye flight to Paris!
- Learn how to ski or snowboard LOL, no.
Host a dinner party Send someone a surprise in the mail Plan an epic 30th birthday party.Does an epic 30th birthday trip to the Florida Keys count? 🙂
- See Beyonce in concert (THIS IS TOTALLY WORTHY OF BEING ON HERE #BEYHIVE) I STILL HAVEN’T DONE THIS? I’ve failed. Goodbye!
Note to self: get to a Beyonce concert.
See My Old Birthday Posts:
What are your thoughts on turning 30? Let me know in a comment below!