If you follow me on Snapchat (username: aliciatenise), you’ve probably been able to figure out that it is my absolute favorite social platform because of how much I use it! Sorry Instagram, sorry Twitter, sorry Facebook, but this quirky new medium has won me over!
I still meet a lot of folks who are still hesitant to sign up for it, and plenty of bloggers who prefer to keep their accounts private. However, I think it’s a ridiculously valuable tool and here’s why I think you should add it into the mix if you haven’t already!
Readers get to know the real you
Out of all the social platforms, I think Snapchat is where my readers really get to know me the best. Sometimes it’s hard as a blogger to come off as a real person and not as a robot. My Snapchat is where you can see the real me: the good, the bad, the ugly. I share my highlights and lowlights of life pretty candidly, but I also joke around a lot on the platform and just have fun with it!
It’s the most relaxed platform
Who else lowkey hates how curated you have to be on Instagram? On Insta, I spend quite a bit of time editing pics, making sure it fits in my feed, and scheduling content at ideal times to reach the most users. On Snapchat my friends, you don’t have to do any of that! It’s a lot more laid back of a platform, so you don’t have to be so meticulous with composition and filters, and a snap story only lasts a day so within 24 hours, a lot of users are bound to check your feed at some point.
It will be a major advertising platform in the future
You might have spotted a few ad campaigns on Snapchat already. I have a feeling this will be a trend that will continue, and if you’re looking for a new way to monetize your blog, this is a fantastic option! My Snapchat following is included in my media kit, and it’s another platform that adds to your overall social reach. I haven’t accepted an ad campaign just yet, but once I do so, I would plan on using it sparingly.
Now that I’ve possibly convinced you to sign up, how on earth do you use Snapchat to benefit your blog?
- Give them heads up about your new content. If I have a new post, something cool going on on Insta, or have been featured somewhere, I’ll share a quick Snap to direct readers to the new content. Believe it or not, I see a small spike in website traffic whenever I hint to new posts. Super easy way to get the word out and remind folks to head to your blog!
- Share behind-the-scenes looks at photoshoots, blog events and more. I’m notorious for Snapping an event rather than gramming it, so readers can check out what new store openings, media previews and menu tastings I’ve been able to check out on a whim. I’ll also share some pretty funny behind the scenes looks at how I produce blog content (AKA my sad white posterboard I always take photos on, and when I work with my photographer to shoot five looks in one day!)
- Produce exclusive content. Have a makeup or hair tutorial? Want to show folks how to edit in Lightroom? Doing a Q and A session? Give your readers content they won’t be able to find on other platforms to entice them!
- Be a human being. I still have a mix of personal friends and blog readers on Snap, so I try not to bombard my feed with blog promotions only. I share my pizza cravings, late night McDonald’s runs, and me jamming out in my car. Oh and puppies. A lot of random people’s puppies. Don’t be afraid to ~be yourself~ cause people will love you for keepin’ it real!
Still need some inspiration for Snapchat? Here are a few of my favorite snappers (some of these are celebs, too!):
- Haute Off The Rack (hauteofftherack)
- Chrissy Tiegen (chrissytiegen)
- Color Me Courtney (xocourtneyquinn)
- Poor Little It Girl (poorlilitgirl)
- DJ Khaled (djkhaled305) (OK well, duh, everyone loves DJ Khaled on Snap, amirite???)